Friday, June 15, 2012

What Is Eating My Tomato Plants?

I went out into the garden this morning and found some of our tomatoes to be looking quite sickly. something is eating the leaves, and even the vines. What could it be?

You can tell this is looking pretty sickly...

Here's a closer shot (enlarge to see better). Although it's out of focus, one of the stems has been completely stripped of leaves.

Whatever got to this one had the audacity to eat the entire top of the stem off!
Have you ever had an issue like this? This is my fourth year growing tomatoes and nothing has ever chewed on my plants like this. We have an entirely fenced in garden, so unless something is burrowing that I'm unaware of, it would have to be something that can climb a fence or drop in from a tree (squirrel, bird, etc).

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever considered that it could possibly be a form of pest or bug thats eating through your garden? Slipping through the fence, slyly. God bless, and happy gardening!!

    -Tony Salmeron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't look like it's insects Liz, more like gophers or rabbits. Although they usually stick to the lettuces and peas. (Well at least in my garden) look for gopher holes- I had them last year and they loved eating my plants.

    ReplyDelete