Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Walk Through The Garden - Heatwave Edition

Like much of the United States, we've been having a heatwave. Although I'm on vacation today, I won't be spending much time in the garden—the high is 101. I got outside prior to 10 a.m. to tie up some tomatoes, pick basil flowers, and take a photo walk through the garden.

This year I attempted to add some flowers to my garden to attract insects. The nasturtiums in pots and fence baskets haven't bloomed (many appear to be a lunch for birds or small rodents), but my zinnias are finally starting to bloom.





The last of the spring beets need to be pulled soon.


A rogue chipmunk has been sneaking under our gate (the stone path settled, leaving a gap), and he's been munching on some of the beets.


These are Polbig tomatoes. They should be my first non-cherry tomato.


I planted a random Forrelenschlus lettuce in the shade of the Polbigs. It had been eaten to the ground by a pest earlier this spring, but now it's doing well.


Still no broccoli head, but the plants are definitely growin.


The black beauty zucchini plant is full of flowers.


Cherry tomatoes - probably Blondkopfchen. I did a terrible job with labeling this year.


Eight-ball zucchini. Just picked two last night, and this one will be ready in a day or two.


Slim Jim eggplant. First time growing eggplants in my garden.


Cucumber flowers. I think I've spotted cucumber beetles in my garden, so I'm going to have to be super vigilant - when it cools off.


The leaves from our Italian Giant parsley are huge!


We have more basil than we know what to do with.


This is my first time growing celery. It's looking great.


Here's a picture of the stalk.


I also have bush beans flowering, and the strip of pole beans that actually survived the worm/slug attack is starting to climb the trellis. I've started another strip that is up now, and I'll plant another this weekend.

Time to start planning the fall garden...

5 comments:

  1. Very nice produce and nice flowers! I like those little round zucchinis; looks like something to try next year! My celery never made it into the garden this year, so I envy those nice plants of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog! Your garden looks amazing. This is my first year growing celery, so I'm not sure what to expect. I only have 6 plants, but we're not huge celery eaters.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks great in your garden! I can relate to the heat. Here in Southern Indiana it was 107 degrees today. We are breaking all kinds of temperature records down here! It is just hot and so humid! Gardening has to be done in the early a.m. or late in the evening once the sun goes down! Keep cool and Happy Gardening! Mindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I just went outside to pull some weeds and check for cucumber beetles (the jerks fly away before I can catch them) and I had to mop the sweat from my face when I came inside. It's almost dark out and it's still in the upper 90's. This weather is insane.

      Delete
  3. awesome to see all in your garden. Flowers are charming with colors. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete