Monday, September 7, 2020

Harvest Monday: September 7

I passed peak tomato without even noticing it.

After picking another 30 pounds on Thursday evening, I realized there wasn't an overwhelming amount of fruit hanging on the vines. Sunday morning, I harvested just a handful. We'll have tomatoes here and there for another 1-3 weeks but I believe the days of 30-pound harvests are long gone.

Looking back, the first tomatoes ripened around July 26, came in at a steady but manageable pace for the next 3 weeks, and then kicked into high gear for 30+ pound weeks for the next 2-3 weeks, and now we're back to the steady trickle. It's interesting to look back at the calendar because it feels like I've been harvesting and processing tomatoes forever.

Here's the photo evidence from Thursday. In addition to the tomatoes, I got some nice peppers.

cardboard flat of tomatoes with some green, chocolate, and yellow peppers

cardboard flat filled with tomatoes

My mom and I processed 20 pounds of the ripest tomatoes on Friday, resulting in 5 quarts of crushed tomatoes and 3 quarts of tomato juice.

Saturday was a work day, prepping the garden expansion area for cover crop seeds, which I managed to sow just before sunset, followed by my husband raking them in with the lawn tractor. It was just in time, as the rains came overnight. This is the first year I'm planting a cover crop. I hope it goes well. I went with an all-purpose garden cover crop mix from True Leaf Market. 

While cleaning out a portion of the garden, I pulled my first few carrots (gorgeous, but long; I probably let them go too long) and the rest of the Jacob's Cattle bean plants. No photos though.

Sunday was dreary; perfect for more canning. First, I went to the garden during a break in the rain to pick the majority of my basil. I also ended up with a handful of tomatoes and some more gorgeous peppers.

tomatoes and peppers in front of a pint glass full of basil

Mom and I tackled the Ball roasted tomato soup recipe for the first time, doubling it. We ended up filling almost every square inch in my oven with trays of roasted tomatoes.

four sheet pans of halved, seeded tomatoes

16 pounds of tomatoes and hours of work yielded the expected 6 quarts of roasted tomato soup + 1 quart of tomato juice. This better be darn good soup! While the tomatoes were processing, I put together a batch of pickled jalapeños that could be water bath canned. My husband eats pickled jalapeños on his pizzas frequently, and we've always purchased them at the grocery store. I hope he likes the home canned ones, because jalapeños are easy to grow and quick to pickle. When I put them in the canner, I had both burners running a canner, which I think was a first for me.

a pressure canner and water bath canner on the stove

Sunday dinner was wood-fired pizza from a local farm, but I made a salad of tomato, basil, mozzarella, olive oil, and a balsamic reduction.

large slices of yellow tomato topped with slices of basil and a single basil leaf, dotted with balsamic vinegar

This post is part of Harvest Monday; visit Happy Acres to see what other gardeners are harvesting this week.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, 30+ pounds of tomatoes! It's been a long time since I grew that many tomatoes. I miss that kind of harvest but I don't miss all the work. I hope that soup is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually wishing I had a few more. I think I probably harvested close to 150 pounds this year. With 50 pounds more or so I could make some ketchup, a bit more sauce, and a few more novelty tomato products. But I'm sure some of them would need to go in the freezer for canning in the fall/winter, as I'm not sure I have enough time to can all of that.

      Delete
  2. I've not tried roasted tomato soup, but I do make roasted tomato sauce when I have a glut. It is tasty and I imagine your soup will be too. I used to can a lot of things like tomatoes and green beans, but these days I freeze most of them. Which is one reason we need two big freezers in the basement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My go-to tomato sauce is also roasted, and frozen. It's so much easier that way!

      I'm being stingy on freezer space, because although we also have two auxiliary freezer (one chest, one upright) we ordered a whole hog, 10 chickens, and a quarter cow this fall. I'm waiting for the beef to show up next month so I know how much extra freezer space I have. It will be tighter than most winters!

      Delete
  3. That’s a huge umber of tomatoes, ours just aren’ t ripening at the moment.

    ReplyDelete