Saturday, March 17, 2012

Seed Starting Extravaganza

Today I started the herbs I planned to: thyme, basil, sage, parsley, oregano, and celery.

I also started plants I had planned to start to weeks later. The weather has been so warm (it's been in the seventies), I anticipate being able to plant things out earlier. So, I also started tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, broccoli, head lettuce, and zinnias.

I also gave the onions a haircut - they were getting scraggly. Now they're only four inches tall. I wasn't planning to plant them out for another month, but if the weather holds that will happen much earlier.

I also made a run to Stein's and picked up 6 bags of compost, 3 cubes of straw, some bone meal, fish emulsion, and plant labels. Tomorrow I'll amend at least one bed and plant peas and other cool weather crops, which I wasn't planning to plant for another month.

It's possible we'll still get frosts (even snow), but I can always replant. If we don't, I don't want to miss this opportunity to get a head start on the Wisconsin garden season.

No comments:

Post a Comment