Monday, August 17, 2020

Harvest Monday: August 17

This week was all about tomatoes. I brought in three harvests, on Tuesday, Saturday, and Sunday, and they were mostly tomatoes with a few peppers and zucchini thrown in. There are some beets ready to harvest but I'm letting them sit for a bit.

Here's what I harvested from the garden this week.

harvest basket full with tomatoes on the bottom, a zucchini in the corner, and topped with bright yellow peppers

harvest basket almost completely full of tomatoes, with two green peppers and some small yellow peppers on top

Harvest basket about two thirds full of tomatoes, with one zucchini

With all of these beautiful tomatoes, they were the stars of our meals this week. We had BZT's on Monday (with no lettuce, we replaced it with a grilled zucchini slice and it was pretty good), panzanella salad on Tuesday, and more BLTs starting on Thursday when we got some more lettuce.

panzanella salad with red and yellow tomatoes

The panzanella salad is tossed with olive oil and then drizzled with a balsamic reduction. I used red tomatoes from the CSA and the yellow tomatoes are Mr. Stripey from the prior week's harvest.

closeup of the inside of a BLT

Over the weekend I started to process the tomatoes. 5.5 pounds of Juliet tomatoes went into the dehydrator. This is the first time I dried them as halves rather than slices, per Dave's advice. They took a little longer than I expected (about 26 hours), but they were worth the wait. Not only are they absolutely delicious (my husband says they taste like tomato fruit rollups), but because I dried them skin side down, the dehydrator trays are still clean! Cleaning up trays after dehydrating sliced tomatoes can be a pain. You've converted me, Dave. Will do another batch later this week.

halved tomatoes on a dehydrator tray

quart jar of dehydrated tomatoes

Another 7 pounds of Celebrity and Mr. Stripey went into some salsa for canning. I use a tested recipe from Annie, a contributor on the Houzz (formerly GardenWeb) Harvest forum. Annie's salsa is our favorite, and I'll try to make at least two more batches this summer. The Celebrity tomatoes were perfect for this recipe, with their fleshy consistency. They were also extremely easy to peel and deseed. I got seven pints for canning, and about 3/4 cup leftover that I used on a smothered burrito for brunch on Sunday.

Glass jars of salsa

If you'd like to see what other gardeners around the world are doing with their harvest, head on over to Happy Acres, where Dave hosts Harvest Monday every week.

2 comments:

  1. As always, your photos are lovely. Such an abundant tomato harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tomato season, and never thought of the BZT idea! We do eggplant and tomato sandwiches when we have both of them. I'm glad to hear you like the dehydrated Juliets. We do sometimes make tomato fruit leather too, though I find the dried tomato pieces more useful.

    ReplyDelete