Monday, August 3, 2020

Harvest Monday: August Is Here

I had four separate harvests from the garden this week, and plant diversity is increasing. That means August is here! I had the week off of work, so I was able to spend a lot of time in the garden, thinking about the garden, and planning for some big changes for next year's garden (more to come on that in a separate post).

Tuesday, when I posted my July garden journal, I picked a handful of tomatoes and peppers, but forgot to photograph them. I did remember to take photos of the garden though. The first photo has my winter squash on the left, 8-ball zucchini and fennel poking up behind them, and the mass of tomatoes in the back. The foreground is peppers and a row of Swiss chard.

Vegetable garden with a path in the middle

It didn't feel like 80 degrees in the shade; it was a lovely morning. Here you'll see my sparse rows of beans (1) and carrots (4). Behind those are the rutabagas. They look wilted because I'd just thinned them. Behind those you can barely see the rows of beets. So far I've only had to water the garden two or three times because we've been getting regular rain. The squash plants were thirsty by Friday afternoon, but with rain in the forecast on Sunday I held off (right now watering is a production of connecting and running a 50-foot hose). The rain came in multiple downpours, so the squash should be happier now.

vegetable garden

I remembered to photograph the remaining harvests. On Thursday I got more tomatoes (Juliets and some cherries), a green pepper, two 8-ball zucchinis, and some super chili ornamental peppers.

harvest in a basket

Saturday brought two harvests: the first ripe Celebrity tomato, and a mountain of beet thinnings (Lutz Winter Keeper and Golden) providing a glut of baby beets and beet greens, which I've yet to process.

tomato held in one hand

lots of beets

A quick spin through the garden on Sunday before the rain came found more tomatoes, including the first few Romas, another pepper, more chiles, and some jalapenos (Mighty Nacho).

white bowl of vegetables

Although I sliced a few for a pizza, most of the Juliets have been roasted and eaten with eggs for breakfast. When I start getting them in larger quantities I'll dehydrate them. The cherry tomatoes and peppers are combined with CSA veggies for mason jar salads that Aaron has been taking to work. While trying to get feedback on what salads he liked best, I learned it doesn't matter what veggies are in it as long as there's some smoked pork. So he smoked another pork roast this weekend so he'd have salads for this week.

glass pan of roasted tomatoes

mason jar salad with chickpeas

mason jar salad with black beans and pork



mason jar salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, and pork with dressing in the bottom


Some of the jalapenos I harvested Sunday went into a jalapeno corn bread that we had with the pulled pork and some CSA corn on the cob. It will make a good side for Aaron's Southwest salads this week, too.

cornbread in a round cast iron skillet, with 1/4 sliced out

That's all from Gross Farms this week. I hope you'll head over to Happy Acres to see what Dave and the other Harvest Monday participants are pulling out of their gardens and cooking.

Hopefully in a few days I can get a post together about the BIG garden plans for 2021.

8 comments:

  1. I'm thinking I wouldn't care what was in my lunch either as long as it included smoked pork! You have a lovely assortment of tomatoes and peppers there. Still waiting on the first ripe pepper here, but I do have green ones I haven't harvest yet. And rutabagas - there's something not many people grow, including me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago one of my CSA's had rutabagas in them. I like them mashed or roasted... and had a lot of old seed to use up. It germinated beautifully! Now I'm hoping those roots size up.

      Delete
  2. I grew Celebrity last year, and am trying it again. Mine aren't quite ripe yet, and I'm half a zone higher than you (5b). Those little red peppers look nice and hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't tried the peppers yet but hoping they're nice and spicy! Haven't eaten the celebrity yet either, but I think it may be destined for a BLT.

      Delete
  3. Many gardeners grow Celebrity here in San Diego. Some use it as an over-wintering tomato if they have a sunny, south-facing, warm spot in the garden. So nice to see your garden. Oh for so much space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of an over-wintering tomato is so foreign to me!

      If you think that's a lot of space, wait till you see what I have in store for next year...

      Delete
  4. Your salads look delicious, as do your tomatoes and peppers, and even the beet thinnings are decent sized. I have a hard time growing beets because of flea beetles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It seems to be an exceptional year for bell peppers here; I've had trouble growing full-size ones in the past. I probably waited far too long to thin the beets, which is why they're the size they are. I finally got the greens processed and they weighed in at 3 lbs, 2 ounces before blanching. I ended up with 3 nice size packages for the freezer.

      Delete