Monday, August 24, 2020

Harvest Monday: August 24

I neglected the garden during the week, saving all my harvests for the weekend. But Friday - Sunday I brought in over 30 pounds of tomatoes, four pounds of beets, a handful of hot and sweet peppers, a large bunch of basil and a lone 8-ball zucchini (the squash beetles are having a field day in the garden).

Here's what the harvest looked like. Well, most of it. In between harvesting and washing and preparing and doing the dishes and making the kitchen messy and cleaning it again I forgot to photograph a few things.

Friday was a mixture of Juliet, Roma, and cherry tomatoes with some fatali and scotch bonnet peppers and some green peppers This particular sweet pepper variety is meant to be picked green, and therefore was the first to mature in the garden. I also have some red peppers and chocolate peppers that have been growing well, but just started to show some color this week.

basket of tomatoes and peppers

On Friday night I combined the freshly-harvested hot peppers with some I'd stored in the fridge and attempted to start my first lacto-fermented hot sauce. I'll report back in a few weeks how that went. Prior to putting them in the food processor, weren't these peppers gorgeous?

bright yellow textured peppers

Saturday was all about the tomatoes. I brought in 25 pounds—6 pounds of Juliets and 19 pounds of Celebrity and Roma. The few green Celebrity tomatoes had fallen from the branches. They don't even have a hint of orange to them so I'll probably do some sort of green tomato preparation.

four large bowls overflowing with tomatoes

While picking the tomatoes I spied this very large beet and decided to pick it before it became woody. It's the first full-size harvest of my Lutz Winter Keeper variety.

red beet the size of the hand that's holding it


On Sunday I pulled my golden beets, as they'd started to get heavily attacked by some sort of bug. Because of that, the greens were a loss and went into the compost pile. Once trimmed, they weighed in at 3 pounds, 10 ounces. I also harvested a large bunch of basil, which I forgot to photograph. 

basket of golden beets

I had to drag the sprinkler out to the garden to water on Sunday, since we haven't had rain for over a week. This is the first time I've had to water the garden in over a month.

In terms of using the harvest, it was tomato palooza on Saturday. I made a 1.5x batch of Annie's salsa (10 pints canned + 1 quart for the fridge), dehydrated 9 pounds of Juliets (yield: 1.5 quarts). 

10 pint jars filled with salsa

shiny small tomatoes sliced in half

dehydrated tomatoes on a tray

I also roasted a large pan of tomatoes. The roasted tomatoes were blended into sauce, which I combined with a too-thick roasted sauce from the fridge I'd made earlier in the week that also included carrots, zucchini, and onions. The resulting mixture was still too thick, so I pulled one of my "failed" jars of crushed tomatoes from a few years back out of the pantry. I'd ended up canning mostly tomato water with a little pulp on the bottom. Opening the jar, it still smelled distinctly like tomato, so adding that to the sauce served thinned it without diluting the flavor. I ended up with just over a gallon of sauce, which is frozen flat in Ziploc bags in 2-cup servings. 

Last, but not least, I roasted up the beets. We'll eat plenty fresh this week, but if I have extra after a few days I'll dice and freeze for use in grain salads this winter.

Every Monday gardeners around the world share their harvest. View all of this week's Harvest Monday posts, hosted over at Happy Acres.

7 comments:

  1. Those peppers are gorgeous, and what a hot sauce they will make! Wow! Lovely tomato harvests, and the beets are lovely (wish I liked them)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough beets! I know they're polarizing for folks, but my husband and I both love them.

      Delete
  2. Your tomato sauce sounds amazing and the salsa looks great. Your first beet is a beauty. I'm forever trying to grow beets, but they are too loved by flea beetles so end up stunted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially stunted mine because of overcrowding, but some aggressive thinning took care of it. Sorry about your flea beetles! I'm not good at understanding/mitigating/fighting pest damage... I just roll with it.

      Delete
  3. Your harvests are absolutely beautiful. What joy it must be to have such a bounty coming from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely been nice while staying at home. I'm glad I made the decision this spring to bring it out of its hiatus.

      Delete
  4. I love fermented hot sauces. The fermenting adds flavor and improves the keeping qualities of the sauce. I have a chunky fermented chili garlic sauce that is almost a year old now and still tasty. And 30 pounds of tomatoes is surely a lot to deal with!

    ReplyDelete